Jacmel was established in 1698 when French colonizers purchased the West side of HIspaniola from Spain. It is renowned for its dense concentration of colonial houses imported from various areas of Europe and often times appropriated for the Tropical climate of Haiti.
Jacmel was the first city in the Caribbean to install electrical power. That achievement gave it the name of the City of Lights. Although it has kept much of its old architecture, the town has always been renowned for its progressive nature.
For a good read on the Historic Distric of Jacmel. Below is a document published by the Haitian National Heritage Society (Institut du Patrimoine National- ISPAN)